ARGH! (or, how I made peace with socks and sandals - sort of.)

A pre-note: Once upon a time, I blogged about street style and fashion. That blog is defunct now. I don't remember exactly what the last straw was that turned me off -- something about "the 14 winter coats you NEED to buy right now or you're a frumpy nobody." So I walked away. Overt fashion-awareness and I took a several years-long break. Fashion and style, for me, have always been about art and self expression. Runway shows are exciting, but couture-draped snobs issuing edicts about what's in or out make me want to go into a full Exorcist projectile-vomiting fit. So! As of right now, I will be blogging about personal style again from time to time. Let's keep it fun.


“Oh my God, you look like a middle-aged dad!”

“Well…I am, so OK then,” David replied.

David’s no-bullshit, rock solid sense of self-assuredness is incredibly sexy MOST of the time. But his go-to footwear is white tube socks with black KEEN sandals. “They’re comfortable!” and he just… leaves it at that. 

This. With white Jockey socks. Baby Jesus have mercy!

 Y’all. The headache this combination freaking gives me! I have generally been the form-above-function type my whole life. My favorite playtime activity as a child was pretty princess dress-up, and I honestly never outgrew it. I would even beg my mom sometimes, in the winter, not to make me wear my coat because it didn’t “go” with my outfit that day. And don’t get me started on the emotional pain of not being able to wear outrageous platform heels anymore after I broke my foot 3 years ago. I can not even begin to understand the concept of wearing something fuck-ugly just because it feels like a cloud on your feet.

I do my best to accept him where he is, so I try to keep the embarrassed whining to a minimum. Sometimes, he’ll “compromise” by choosing black socks instead of white ones.






I wondered if showing him the article would reverse-psychology the man into stepping up his shoe game, (Oh no, my look is fashion now – better do something else) but no such luck. 

FINE. I love the man, so if he goes down, I'll go with him. If we’re going to do this, I will have my ground rules, though. I will make my peace and find some “but they’re so comfy!” looks that don’t offend me. Here we go.

*otherworldly screeching* NO NO NO NO NO.


This one’s... cute, actually. The pairing has a theme that’s blingy, but not obnoxious. A studded heel or platform with a sock in an understated shade, with some Lurex to compliment the shiny studs. I could rock this.

This one’s okay too. I tend to shy from prints in socks, because it can get very busy, very quickly. A sock and sandal that are not too matchy-matchy, but in the same color family, so it looks intentional – not like you got dressed in the dark.

 This, I can get behind. I can see a risk of making the leg line look shorter, but I love a good fishnet, and it gets a little damn warm to have a full fishnet stocking in the summer. It can be done with a comfortable low heel, platform, or flat. It's versatile, it fits my aesthetic, and it doesn’t feel too try-hard.


This looks like something everyone (including me) was wearing in the mid 90's. Not my favorite, but I like that it’s gender-neutral (Bust out the CK One, y'all!) Everyone can do this. Depending on the rest of your outfit, it can work. Contrast with something a little more classic and dressed-up, or pair with well-proportioned athleisure/Health Goth looks.


I generally don’t wear pastels except in my wigs, but this is darling.


Okay, I concede. Socks with sandals aren’t just for sloppy suburban dads anymore. I’ve picked up some Lurex socks and chunky-heeled sandals with thick straps, for my inaugural run - look for them in a future post!

Like the rest of my wardrobe, selections have to be versatile for a range of combinations. The Lurex socks will also go with several other shoes I already had, including some Betsey Johnson flat sandals with a leopard accent bow.

And as for my aversion to prints, well… I must say, I dream of pairing these with my black faux-Birkenstock slides.



What do you think of the fact this former absolute no-no is now becoming a bit of a fashion staple? Yay, or yikes?

Comments

  1. Boys are so funny....what are ya gonna do?! I actually own several pairs of fishnet, tulle and velvet socks that I've been known to wear with my fancier or sandals or pumps so I guess I'm not entirely opposed! I feel your pain with the foot surgery/high heel dilemma. Since my surgery a couple of years ago I have to be very choosy. I've found that block heels around 3 inches are reasonable tolerable.
    Debbie
    www.fashionfairydust.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, sigh, I do so miss my 6 inch platform heels. I can't do above 3 inch these days - and a chunky heel, or wedge or platform, tends to be the way to go. Fortunately most stompy goth boots meet the criteria LOL

      Thanks for commenting! And merry Christmas to you, Debbie!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Friday light reads - what I'm reading today

Sometimes a breakthrough looks like a breakdown, part 3: The first wolf

Five things I've learned after 2 weeks of Project 333