Friday Light Reads

Happy 3-day weekend eve to the workin' grunts like me! Here's a round-up of some links that have powered my inner light this week:

"Every magazine seems preoccupied with telling us how to “burn more calories.” Being barraged with this toxic messaging makes exercise feel like another chore. Another thing we have to do. Another way we aren’t quite good enough. And it sucks all the fun out of physical activity."
"Stylish is one idea of flattering, one idea of sophisticated, one idea of creative. In these messages, stylish is complex, expensive, specific, and exclusionary. It is a niche into which we may never fit, but that we must always be attempting to fill. And it’s all bunk. All of it."
You know I’m on a mission to extinguish the perfection imperative, right?
Resisting perfectionism one of the ways culture-makers undermine white supremacy.
It’s also how we start dismantling the iron grip that The Female Lifestyle Empowerment Brand has on our psyches, our lives, our buying and our businesses.
Perfectionism a form of internalized violence and it keeps us small.
And speaking of perfectionism, here's the 12-week exercise plan I started on Monday. On the cardio days, I go with Couch to 5K (I'm about to start week 3.) They seem to dove-tail well, and once I'm a bit more re-acclimated to strength training over another week or 2, I'll throw down on some of the weight machines at my gym. I always thought weight training was fun, so this is something to look forward to ramping up. As we move into the weekend, what are some ways you've implemented self care? Or, how do you plan to gradually introduce some healthy self-care habits in the near future?

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Friday light reads - what I'm reading today

Sometimes a breakthrough looks like a breakdown, part 3: The first wolf

Five things I've learned after 2 weeks of Project 333